I’m wondering…. Do you read the customer’s review before booking a room in a hotel?
To tell you the truth, it is not very often that I do. Living on the roads, you get used to what you find. But on some occasions, an instinct comes to tell you “see what the people say about it”.
And that’s what I did yesterday. I was going to book a room in a cheap place (which I won’t be naming here but it is in Belgium) when i found that I had to pay for the towels and sheets. But how much do they ask for it? Time to check the hotel’s comments, who knows, perhaps someone said the fee. 😉 be sure to read all of them and if you had a good laugh as I did, please leave a comment.
We could not enjoy the rented property because it was already rented by another family. Fortunately neighbors were able to accommodate us in a small cottage. We visited the house originally rented and the bathroom is in the room, there is no door to the toilet and the work is not finished (dangerous for children)
The owner was not there and did not welcome us. The room has no door and the only shower in the house was in the room. There are holes on the ceiling and on the floor as well as a cat who does not hesitate to search our things at night (it was not indicated on the ad and I am allergic). None of the features listed on the ad have been verified.
The host was very helpful and gave us good information on how to reach the house. The rooms were big and the bed was comfortable. The bathroom was equipped and soap/towels were provided to the visitors.
· The house address was special and some signs to direct visitors by car would have been helpful. The kitchen could have used lighting as it was dark at night. The bathroom and the main room were combined which was a shame !
Awesome location, you can find everything you need in this big house. Kind owner, always trying to pleased guests need.
Shared house with no privacy, missing door and ceilings, still a work in progress I guess. The only toilet and shower are in the main room with nothing to separate them from bed side, 2nd toilet out of order most of the time.
A bumpy unimproved road to the cottage in a forest area. A lot of garbage outside the cottage. Nobody there. Phone call. Key outside somewhere. Dark inside, hardly any bulbs. Three sleeping rooms, each having blankets as doors. Blankets also before the windows. All cupboards filled with personal belongings; apparently somehow someone lives here and leaves it then for rental purposes. Just one closet upstairs, also in the open air. Floors of the sleeping rooms are being renovated, with missing boards: mind your steps. Someone arrived during the night, heard him / her snore. I am used to sleep everywhere; but this time I had a creepy feeling.
This establishment is almost impossible to reach. The address is very complicated and the city name is wrong. In addition, the owner was not helpful. When we reached the place at 10:30 PM everything was closed and after a phone call we got an answering machine although we specified an arrival time in between 10 and 11 PM. Therefore we had no access to the room. The following day we called again the owner. She lied telling us that she was waiting for us very lately and that she sent SMS. Of course we got nothing. We are asking for a full refund and we noticed similar bad experiences within the comments of the website. Altogether this is everything but serious.
1) The property was difficult to find. The road leading to it was narrow, muddy (especially after a rainy day) and not well signposted. The front of the property was a tip.
2) The living room looks really nice but I think the owner was more concerned about collecting trinkets than actually making the place safe and fit for purpose.
3) There are no doors to the rooms for privacy. Just curtains hanging by the door frames.
4) There is a gap on the floor as you enter one of the rooms and my wife’s foot got caught. Obviously you tend to look into the room as you enter, and a gap on the floor is the last thing you expect.
5) The floor boards outside the property have not really been brushed for a long time and has accumulated gunk which made it very slippery on a rainy day. My 10 yr old son slipped and hurt his back. He was already aware it was slippery, but still slipped because it was just too slippery.
6) The door to the side of the property was not locked and the owner did not leave the key to lock that door. We felt very vulnerable.
7) There is no separate toilet/shower. However, one room had an open plan toilet/ shower. Remember that there are no doors. It means somebody can just go into your room, do his business and leave a stinking smell in your room all the time while you’re in bed. You can even play pass-the-tissue if you want.
8) The worst part of all was when we had a power cut. Yes, an electricity power cut. I can see that other houses have electricity so it’s just the house we are in that has no power. I texted the owner and told her about the power cut. She did not even address that problem. No lights and no heating. It was very cold. The house was not properly insulated.
9) The owner phoned that there were other people coming to stay for the night. We are in the middle of nowhere. Side door unlocked. No doors to the rooms. No lights. And strangers will arrive in the middle of the night! It was a nightmare.
Come on! What’s this place? Be sure to read the reviews before booking somewhere you’ve never been.